1. All vocalists must perform the American folk song "Shenandoah." Please choose either of the two keys below. The first is in C Major while the second is in D major:
2. Singers must also perform a piece of solo vocal music less than 2.5 minutes in length. Appropriate cuts of songs longer than 2.5 minutes are welcome. Song selections should be from standard vocal repertoire including classical, folk, or musical theater genres (please avoid pop songs).
3. For accompaniment, singers must either:
a. bring their own accompanist to play for the auditions
b. bring a pre-recorded accompaniment and CD player or iPod docking station to play the recording.
Accompanists will not be provided.
4. The audition will also include sight reading and interview questions.
Singers with questions about audition repertoire are welcome to contact PAVAN voice faculty Dr. Steve Jennings at email@example.com.
Audition times are assigned by the PAVAN Director and will be announced via email by February 15.
1. All guitarists must perform measure 17 to the end (no repeat) of Op. 35, No. 22 by Fernando Sor. You may use your own copy or download it here:
2. In addition, guitarists must also perform a solo classical piece of music of their choice between 2 and 2.5 minutes in length. An excerpt from a longer piece is acceptable, but a part from an ensemble piece is not appropriate for audition purposes.
3. You will also be asked to answer several interview questions, sight read, and perform scales with up to one flat, and up to 4 sharps. Scales should not be played using moveable finger patterns.
4. You must audition with a classical guitar. It is also recommended that you bring your own foot stool or another type of support. One will not be provided for you.
The Sherando High School address is:
185 S. Warrior Drive
Stephens City, VA 22655
Please like the PAVAN Facebook page to get reminders.
Applicants will be asked to present two contrasting monologues, one contemporary and one classical. Each must be memorized and each monologue must be 1 minute in length. There will also be several interview questions. Introduce yourself with a 'slate' - "My name is ______, I will be performing two monologues. The first is (character's name) from (play name.)"
Contemporary monologue information:
Classical Monologue information:
Applicants are asked to bring 8-10 works of your choice. Please bring examples of your original work that you have completed on your own time, not assignments from schools. Photocopies or slides are not accepted. Please bring at least one black and white drawing, one drawing in color, one example of painting, and a 3D work. Be prepared to explain your artwork and answer several interview questions.